Sunday, February 22, 2009

For Lent . . .

I have been thinking a lot about Lent, because on my other blog I am celebrating Pancake Day (this week) with the age old tradition of using up eggs and butter before Lent. I know we don't celebrate Lent in my church, but it has made me think about what I would give up for Lent.

No TV? Sure! I'll just watch my shows on DVR when it is over. Not too much of a sacrifice.

Computer? I do the dance business from home, and blog away hours of my life, so for something I don't HAVE to do this is asking too much.

Chocolate? too easy- except for chocolate chips in my cookies I probably could give up chocolate all together.

Diet coke? really and why? I would suffer through the headaches for weeks- and the night shift would be miserable. And then I would just pick up right where I left off.

So, then I must reconsider the idea of lent. To give up a vice or a renewed vigor in prayer, fasting and alms giving. Instead of the idea of giving something up- the idea to add something.

Thus for Lent I am going to read the entire Book of Mormon. (Lent is actually a little more than 40 days because Sundays don't count- I'm not quite sure why not- seems like they would be the most important day but since I am only borrowing the idea with "holy envy" I won't complain). Starting Wednesday Feb 26th (Ash Wednesday) and ending on Easter I have 47 days. This is about 12 pages a day. I am borrowing this idea from a friend who recently decided to read the Book of Mormon as a novel. We read other 300-500 page books in a few days, but struggle to add scripture reading to our daily list of things to do.

So join me if you would like, or give up chocolate, either way I look forward to the beautiful Easter season!

10 comments:

Heather-joy said...

Good idea Adrianne. When President Hinkley challenged us to read it by the end of the year that seemed like a challenge because it was such a short time frame, BUT at the same time I can totally sit and read Harry Potter or Twilight in a few days. Why not try and read the Book of Mormon like a novel. I'll join you on this goal.

Ashley C. said...

what a great idea. sounds like the book of mormon kick in the pants i could use.
love you.

Courtney said...

I love it! I think this sounds like a great idea! I am in!

Dan said...

Sounds like P90X will be followed by BOM40. I guess I better figure out what I am giving up or doing for the next 40 days

cdsdds said...

I had a Catholic friend in high school who gave up sky diving for lent, even though he had never gone nor ever would.

Corinne said...

I am joining the bandwagon because really, if you haven't noticed I want to be just like you. It will be nice to have a reading buddy.

Coleen said...

Adrianne:

Love the idea. Thanks for your sweet comment. It made me all teary. You guys are the best.

It's Been a Day! said...

chocolate is a cinch for me to give up. i'm not a huge fan. but you already know what i'm giving up. but i'm impressed with your addition. i think that is a great goal. i'm cheering you on!! i think yours is a better goal than mine. at the end of lent, i'll just be sugar deprived and you will be feeling the spirit!!

maxfamclan said...

What a great idea! I did this a few years ago. Our bishop has a "40 days" pamphlet that has a mini-devotional type thought to go with the reading. I have done it with the book of mormon and then I did it with the 4 gospels. It really is a new perspective to read it fast.

Ashlee said...

ha,ha, ha, Dan! Your BOM40 comment cracked me up. You totally need to do an infomercial.
just keep opening the book, just keep opening the book...

Latest Post on Just a Hint of Salt



Roasted Chicken with Balsamic Peppers