Sunday, August 31, 2008

First Harvest

This is currently my favorite picture of Kate- oh she is cute!!
Kate and her friend Asher.

As part of landscaping the backyard and trying to break up the space to be more visually appealing- we decided to build garden boxes and plant our first ever garden. I have been a little hesitant about this whole idea because it seems like everyones favorite garden item is tomatoes and Annie is the only one who eats them. (although I am waiting for them to finally turn red so I can make salsa yum!!) So I opted to plant a lot of other things to make up for my lack of tomato loving. I think I planted twice as much as I should have and we are excited about our first harvest of squash (yellow, crookneck, spaghetti, and acorn), zucchini, cucumbers, 3 different kinds of pumpkins, peppers peppers peppers, tomatoes (cherry, grape and regular ones) and a watermelon.

6 comments:

Ashley C. said...

the garden in awesome. and john has an awesome salsa recipie when your tomaotes come on. we have been eating salsa all week!

Heather said...

It looks like you have done a faboulous job. Your kids will relish in the excitement every year of helping plant things from seed, or small starts, and see how it grows. Its a great family affair!

Courtney said...

I am jealous of your garden...and happy to eat any let over! Happy harvest!

john said...

the garden looks awesome and I love that picture of kate. now the challenge is to find a way to use everything that grows before it goes bad. seems easy at first. but then you miss a day and you have two or four squash. then you have 15 tomatoes. then 30. good luck.

AshleyJ said...

Are those really from your own garden?? I must have done something terribly wrong to mine, because my "harvest"...if you want to call it that...was like 10 times smaller than that!! Your kids are too cute.

The Davis Fam said...

your garden looks gorgeous. I'm jealous! We're almost ready to plant seeds and not kill everything. Can't wait. When did you get such a green thumb?

Latest Post on Just a Hint of Salt



Roasted Chicken with Balsamic Peppers