Friday, January 30, 2009

The Great Blog Divide

So the time has come that I have come full circle, which I have actually been doing a lot lately, and have decided that my reasons for going "private" with my blog have actually become more of a hindrance than a help.

For example we recently went to Mexico with Families helping Families to build houses. I posted about the experience along with some pictures. My dad wanted to share it with some of his friends who were interested in going to Mexico. Bummer the blog is private!! SO he either has to log them in or I need to send them an invite just to read one post (although I do hope the Merill girls will check back occasionally). And had I know the post was going to be so widely shared I would have beefed it up a little bit. (maybe a revised post to come)

Then fast forward to work when someone asks me for a recipe and I tell them it is on my blog. "Umm! I'm not an invited reader" AWKWARD! Not that I care who really reads it . . . sometimes it is hard to keep track of who actually reads the blog- some people never accepted the invites blah blah blah.

My reasons for going private in the first place were because I wanted to keep certain aspects of my life - like bare bum pictures of my baby- private. But as I have blogged more there are also things I would like to more publicly share- like my amazing chocolate sugar cookie for February's Cookie of the month! I mean shouldn't everyone enjoy these with me?? By then new years resolutions will be less steadfast (except for Paige and Ashley they are sticking to it) and more of you will be willing to try these with me.

So I have decided to start a new blog where I can share not so private moments of our life- fun crafts and activities we do with the kids and great cookies recipes. And on this "private" blog I can post our post p90x pictures and Meg's potty training moments. A great new soup- public (Sampsons- did you like it?) Pictures of our 10 year anniversary cruise- Private. See already you are catching on.

The reason I blog is to keep a journal of my kids lives because I don't write about it otherwise. This is my version of scrapbooking. So I am hoping that my private blog will become even more private where my thoughts and feelings won't need to be edited and my public blog will be even more fun and crafty and a better way to keep in touch with friends because I will show up on their dashboards and they will remember to check my blog!!

5 comments:

john said...

yeah.
what's the new blog title?

EmilyCC said...

Brilliant solution! The public/private dilemma worries me, and I can't wait for February's cookie of the month on the new blog.

Sum & Ben said...

I think that is a great idea!! I keep checking back for those P90X oictures... Ben and I are two weeks into the program, and loving it!! Would love to hear about your experience!!

Amanda said...

LOVE it... Great idea! I'm looking forward to BOTH blogs... :) ps. I made January cookie of the month... and justin was like, "These are amazing... i've had them before i think in another life time..." i said... 'well i got the recipe from A... so you probably have had them before.' To say the least... they were amazing. wow. thanks for sharing.

Heather-joy said...

That's a good idea, now everyone wins. Everyone gets to take part in your delish recipes and you get to keep your private life, well private!

Latest Post on Just a Hint of Salt



Roasted Chicken with Balsamic Peppers