Thursday, September 4, 2008

First Day of First Grade



Last Tuesday Annie started first grade.

The day before school started they had a meet the teacher open house. We met her new teacher and then walked over to say high to her old kindergarten teacher. Miss Judy picked her up and gave her a huge hug and told her how much she had missed her. I started to cry. Would this year be okay? Would her new teacher love her even though she will always be in trouble (at school) for talking? (just like her mother!) Will she make new friends? We already did this last year and yet I am nervous for what her school experience will be.



Annie loves it.
She loves walking up to school with the neighbor kids.
She loves playing at recess and she has already made new friends.
She loves looking forward to something special each day:
Library, Art Space, computer lab & PE


A lot of growing up memories fade over time, and although I can't remember the situations I remember the feelings (both happy and sad). I remember the feeling of being left out, or being made fun of, running and playing with friends and feeling on top of the world. I remember how I felt when I didn't get invited to a party or when my boyfriend cheated . . . and all of the sudden I hurt inside again (not for me- those wounds have long since healed) but it aches to know that my kids are going to have to experience those same growing up moments.
No, I am not nervous for Annie. It is me that has never done first grade this way before- I am nervous for me . . .

2 comments:

Lauren Parker said...

i love this! annie looks so old oh my goodness. she is so cute i miss her soo so much. and that picture of her walking to school cracks me up. haha her back pack is half her size. just wait till shes off too college....ahhh yikes

It's Been a Day! said...

i can't believe you have a 7 year old. isn't it just yesterday that we were running through the halls at the dorms and listening to messages on our phones from our R.A. Erika that the big news of the year was that we were getting 2 ply? Where has this time gone? She looks so grown up.

Latest Post on Just a Hint of Salt



Roasted Chicken with Balsamic Peppers