Wednesday, September 17, 2008

I'm smitten with Fall



It's true . . . I'm smitten. From the beautiful clear CRISP AIR in the mornings, WARM afternoons for riding bikes, LEAVES beginning to change into vibrant hues, DECORATING for fall with red, orange, yellow, green & brown- my house was inspired by the fall, wearing my favorite JEANS and t-shirt, the bright green GRASS that is no longer stressed by the summer heat, yummy SQUASH from my garden, the routine and SCHEDULE the new school year brings, the FRIDAY NIGHT LIGHTS of football season, FARM STANDS packed with pumpkins and gourds, and my own beautiful Cinderella PUMPKINS on the porch, sleeping with the window OPEN and listening to the CRICKETS, warm cozy SWEATERS, delicious and easy SOUP for dinner, and making a (huge) mess BAKING!!


Inspired by the fall we made these leaf shaped sugar cookies and shared them. Because as Kate & Annie remind me that is the best part of making treats.

A's Sugar Cookies:

1 cup butter, softened
1 cup sugar
2 large eggs
1 t. vanilla
3 cups flour
1/2 t salt
1 t baking soda

cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs, then vanilla, then gradually add flour salt and baking soda. Put the dough into a Ziploc bag and refrigerate for 2 hours or overnight.

Then roll out & cut into holiday shape of choice. I put my cookies on the pan in the fridge for 10-20 minutes before baking and it helps them to hold their shapes better. Then bake for 10 minutes at 350. cool completely before frosting.

Yummy butter cream frosting
1/2 cup butter softened
1t vanilla
1/4 t salt
1/3-1/2 cup EVAPORATED milk
4 cups powdered sugar

beat the butter until fluffy, add additional ingredients, alternate adding powdered sugar and milk until desired consistency, should be thin enough to spread so the frosting appears smooth on the top of the cookie. The frosting will harden slightly and you can used a pastry bag to pipe on additional decorations.

20 comments:

Dan said...

Easily the best season of the year. In a few weeks we should post a picture of our street with all the colored leaves that fall in the street. It looks like someplace back east.

EmilyCC said...

Ah, I love fall, too. Unfortunately, it never feels like fall around here until, oh, Christmas.

I think I've lost your cookie recipe, too. Thanks for posting it!

Courtney said...

Easily the best sugar cookies I have tasted! I love how often you bake with you kids....they always ask me if we can decorate cookies when I tend them! I too love fall!!

Coleen said...

Thanks for the recipe! I will have to make these for FHE. So cute! I wish is was just a drive away to see the beautiful fall colors on your street.

Brittany said...

Yummy. I wish I could bake with you too. It hasn't gotten cold here yet, but I'll send some pics of the leaves when they start to change.

Ashley C. said...

yum. i need to make these. they are so good. i can taste them right now.

Erin said...

I love fall as well! And I love the wreath on your door! Where did you get it? Or let me guess... you made it!? Sunflowers are my fav!

The Pond's Lily Pad said...

I love fall, too! You are so lucky to have your birthday at such a beautiful time of year. Thx for the cookie recipe....hopefully I will be able to make some with my kids next week!! luv ya

Adrianne said...

Erin- the wreath was actually super easy. Just some fake sunflowers in red & yellow and berries from Hobby Lobby. A little glue and a grapevine wreath and you're in business.

maxfamclan said...

You are inspiring! I think I am ready to jump in after and follow suit! Thanks for your recipe, always love getting those from you.

It's Been a Day! said...

i miss the utah fall season. we don't typically get that whole changing of the seasons thing down here. we cooled off about 10 degrees this past week and it was heaven. we are back up to hot weather next week, but having a week of cooler weather and actually having a breeze was so refreshing!

Liz said...

Thank you, thank you for sharing your yummy sugar cookies with me! They couldn't have arrived on a better day - one of "those" days - and I must confess that I didn't share ANY of them!! Do you use regular food coloring that you buy at the grocery store, or the cake decorating kind?

The Davis Fam said...

OK STOP IT!!!!! You are torturing me! Actually, we may be up there next week. Hopefully we'll see you (and all your fall glory) soon!

Malma said...

Yup...I love fall too. AND, you inspired me to make sugar cookie this weekend. I LOVE your icing recipe. Thanks!

Rachel said...

Your porch looks spectacular. I miss planting the mumms in the fall like we would every year in Boston. And all the other great things that come with fall like picking apples and hay rides and of course the leaves. Thanks for the recipe, I'm always looking for a better suguar cookie recipe. No news yet, but I'll let you know if we hear anything.

Our Little Bugs said...

WOW!!! I love your porch and your wreath. I konw you made it yourself. You are so very talented.

suzi said...

Amen. Fall here is the best season by far! I am inspired to get going on a wreath for my front door now, and am excited to try a new cookie recipe and especially the frosting! Thanks for sharing! Very cute.

Eric said...

I love fall and I am so jealous that you are experiencing 'real' fall and I am still in the 90's!!! Also you have inspired me and I am off to make cookies :)

auntie libby said...

ok i too will thank you for sharing the recipe but....i'd rather you share the cookies!!!!

Amanda said...

You've totally inspired me... i love your decorations, and i'm excited to try your sugar cookies... your girls are so sweet... i'd have to agree with them 100%

HAPPY FALL!

Latest Post on Just a Hint of Salt



Roasted Chicken with Balsamic Peppers