Wednesday, April 23, 2008

High School Tag

Oh no! I been tagged- and now I get to come clean about my high school years!

1. If you could go back and tell your teenage self one thing, what would it be?
Life will go on, and this is only a brief experience in life!

2. Did you do any extra curricular activities in high school?
I dabbled in a lot of things. My freshman year I played basketball.
My sophomore year I played basketball and ran cross country.
My Jr. year I ran cross country and was in Jr. Choir and Pep Club.
My senior year I was in A’Capella and Madrigals, Dance Company and was a songleader. (aka cheerleaders that dance not stunt) I loved the girls that were songleaders with me! I also went to Girls State.

3. What did you do with your free time?
I’m not sure I had a lot of free time with all of my activities, But I had a couple of part time jobs, at Old Navy, Nordstrom’s, Snellee’s- the local ice cream shop, and teaching swimming in Jon Little’s Pool.
I had an obsession with making brownies! At least once if not twice a week we would make brownies and take them to someone. Yum!
Other than that I think we drove around a lot! Gas was only $1 and we could go far on a $20 tank. I drove a red jeep wrangler ( and we were always cruisin’ by some cute boys house!

4. Coolest thing you did as a teenager.My Jr year I went back to Washington D.C. for a Young National Leaders Conference. In essence I went by myself to be with hundreds of other high school kids from around the country- we took tours of D.C., met important people and learned about government. One morning George Stephanopholus was speaking to us and I introduced him as George “Snuffleupagus”! I was mortified!

5. Did you have a boyfriend in high school?
Of course! It seems I was always dating someone and not very many of them went to the same HS as me, which caused all sorts of contention. The girls from the other schools were not my biggest fans- and often decorated by house and car with various food products. But my Dad always stressed how important it was to be nice and never ever retaliate. So after having my car waxed with Mayo, while at a boyfriend’s football game, we quickly went to the car wash before meeting up at the Highland Sev. We arrived all smiles- like it had never happened! It taught me more than anything- to be nice no matter what and to dig deep for my own sense of self-worth, rather than let it be determined by jealous girls. I am glad I followed my dad’s advice, because it has allowed me (and my sister) to become friends with these girls later in life!

6. Songs that come to mind:
“Girls” Beastie Boys
“Forever Young” Alphaville
“Josie’s on a vacation far away” Outfield
“None of your Business” Salt & Peppa
“Don’t go chasing Waterfalls” TLC

Counting Crows, Steve Miller Band, Pearl Jam, U2, Sting
That sums up a lot of good memories right there!

7. If you could change one thing, what would it be?
I wish we didn’t have to define people by who or what they were in high school! Come on- are we really going to let how someone acted during pubescent and emotionally insecure teenage years determine our life long opinion of them? I love that some of my favorite high school guy friends went to the U and became great friends with their arch-enemies “the HH boys”! My mother-in-law has a great quote in her house, “When people show you who they really are- Believe them!”

8. What did you think you would be when you grew up?
I wanted to be a nurse. My freshman year I went to help my sister with a Senior BBQ. A group of kids showed up in scrubs because they had just finished up clinicals for the Nurse’s Assistance class they were taking. I signed up for the class- and started the pre-reqs for nursing school as soon as I got to BYU. So yes- there you have it, I chose my future profession based on the coolness factor of the uniform.

9. Picture of self. Brittney & I at graduation!

10. Craziest thing you did in high school.
Maybe not the craziest, but one of the best memories was my Jr. year when I didn’t have a 5th period (the last class of the day) during the winter trimester. So we often went skiing. I took great pride in the fact that I could be ready in 5 minutes or less and I skied more that year than I have in the 10 years since. I often went with guys who were much better than I was and it made me a pretty good skier to try and keep up!

Other great memories were:
B&D on Tuesdays
Hanging out in Aunt Annie’s backroom. It was a safe haven!
Double dating with Ashley. We always ended up dating friends!


Favorite joke with subs: that Ryan Parker & I were married!

And we’ll keep this tag going: Steph Pond, Jamie Hyde, Colleen Bryan




my EHS quilt! I cut up all of my t-shirts and made it into a blanket!

13 comments:

Ashley C. said...

I feel really lucky to have been so close in age that we got to go to three years of highschool together. It was so fun for me to be such good friends with my sister. I wish it had been a Jr. High tag though so you could have told how you saved the play when someone broke the "slurpee" machine. :)
Thanks for all the high school memories. It was fun to read them. And love the quilt. I really wish I could get mine back from that boy I thought I couldnt live without.Oh well.
And we still get to double date. How fun is that... lets do it soon.

lacy said...

Yay! I miss you after reading that. And I know we are both different people than we were back then (we're so totally grown up now)- but, you were always, always a good friend to me. Thank you. I wish we lived closer and could hang out more. At least I can see your life on your blog.

Wendy said...

Hi A - it's Hotpants! I found you thru my cousin, who has Summer linked on her blog. That was a fun post. Hope life is well!
Take care!

Corinne said...

What a cute idea to make a quilt out of your tshirts...I had a few of those same ones! I wish I was as creative as you to do that, I am mad I didn't now! GO LEOPARDS!

Brittany said...

Oh A, so many great memories. Senior year was so much fun. I'm glad that you posted the quilt picture. I had forgotten about that project. I think I'll go make some brownies in your honor and I'm super super excited to see you in July.

Rachel said...

A- You were a super good sport about those opposing school girls. Isn't it funny the things we remember?

Malma said...

I love the quilt, and the memories. I too, am guilty of leaving school for time on the slopes. How fun!

Amy said...

Good times huh A? You brought back all kinds of memories some good and some that I wonder what we were thinking. Let's get together sometime soon!

Anne said...

Hotpants and I both found you on a post where you have a picture of us. :) You forgot to mention that the songleaders took state that year. Oh man, what a time high school was...and I think I saw Lacy on here too, I'll have to say hi to her. You also forgot to mention that it really was like High School Musical at the real East High. Man, I loved those song and dance interludes between classes. It really helped downplay the stress of my self-absorbed life. How well I remember that red jeep. I was SO jealous of it. I think you were the girl that everyone was jealous of-no matter what school they went to. When you got it, you got it. I love that your sister is now a Jacobsen so that I can be semi-connected to you. Thanks for the memories!
Belly

The Davis Fam said...

I don't know if we would have been friends in high school - I wouldn't have been a mean mayonaise spreader, but you were SO COOL!! I loved hearing about your HS life...doesn't it seem like a life time ago?

angela said...

Hi A!
I just found your blog from Spencer- my soon to be bro in law.
You are so great! I love you! I am addicted to reading people's blogs when I get a bit homesick these days. I am so happy I found yours. I have so many memories with you, you are such a fun friend. I hope to see you at Heather and Spencers wedding! I don't come to town too often.
I love how cute your kiddos are. The remind me EXACTLY of you at that age!
Anyway, I just wanted to pop in, say hi, and send my love!
Thanks,
Angela (Hatch)

Lauren Parker said...

a!
I loved this blog because its exactly what my life is like right now. And it also helped me keep things in perspective. High school doesnt change much haha! I love you:)

john said...

the snuffelufogus (sp?) story is one of my all time favorite stories.

Latest Post on Just a Hint of Salt



Roasted Chicken with Balsamic Peppers