Friday, April 4, 2008

Remodeling-itis

Remember the last days of your senior year when you were just itching to get out of there. A bad case of senioritis- which you notice the juniors, sophomores and freshman all have too. "How dare they" you say. They haven't had to endure what I have- for them this is just the beginning!
And so I complain about my "remodeling-itis" with the authority of at least a junior (because my mom can still trump me!)

Let me start at the beginning. When Dan and I bought our first house we wanted (and only could afford) a fixer-upper. My dad has been a general contractor for years and fixing up your own house is just kinda something we Parkers do. And I admit I was romantically drawn to the idea of painting side by side with Dan (think Matthew McConaughey in A Time to Kill). Doing house projects and yard work seemed like fun, EASY things to do together. A trip to Home Depot (we should own stock) and Sherwin Williams and voila!

Fast Forward to 7 1/2 years later and having been offered a job at home depot - in the sprinkler section no less- to just wanting the projects to finally come to an end! We bought our current house 3 years ago and believe we will grow old here! translation: we won't be doing this again :)

We have moved way beyond painting, replacing light fixtures and toilet paper holders- this has been no "hair and lipstick" remodel. We have moved walls, added bathrooms (yes! 2), sealed off doors and cut out new ones, just to give you an idea.

Now we are finishing the last half of the basement. (family room, laundry, 1/2 bath and storage). By this weekend we should have drywall on the walls- but I feel like a teen mom who just doesn't wan to push anymore- and maybe if I close my eyes real tight it can happen without me!
So as a reminder that like every school year- this too will end (and hopefully I will even beat Lauren to the finish line!) And one day I might even create a home remodeling slide show set to "these are the days to remember" here are some photos of what the house looked like before and after!

And Honey, thanks! I really do appreciate all you do to create a beautiful home for us!


old kitchen

new kitchen


old exterior


new exterior


old laundry room and old family room


to be continued . . . .

20 comments:

Ashley C. said...

i dont know guys, that kitchen before was pretty awesome. now to most people that looks like a daunting process ( that is b/c it is) but you guys make it look beautiful. cant wait for the finished basement slideshow. and of course the finished basement. i am looking forward to a large party this fall with the new tv and sounds system all set to go. keep up the good work.. and please keep reminding me that it does end.

Gretel said...

I can't believe the old kitchen. Was it pink??? It is going to be so nice when it is done!!

Gretel said...

Kate was looking over my shoulder and said, "they totally made it good."

Erika Anderson said...

DANG! I am super impressed with your ambition. I'm tired just looking at the pictures! ITs looks amazing!

Rachel said...

I really hope you're planning on keeping that white piano. Its a wannabe Elton John series. Your house looks fantastic.

Spencer Hyde said...

The remodeling looks awesome...here here. Thanks for the congrats on my blog you two. I think we need to be at the beach at least a month each year from now on.

Amanda said...

WOW, maybe Dan can come give us ideas on our little house!

Kitchen and outside of the house LOOK SOOOOO GOOD!

Way to go Dan and A!

Brittany said...

The house looks fantastic. You guys have done a great job. Thanks for posting the before pics. I never got to see that.

Courtney said...

First off, I would like to let you know that right now I am eating a chocolate ice-cream sandwich and it tastes delicious (thanks to the stawberry ice-cream post).

I would have to say that remodeling is a sick disease which has both genetic and environmental factors. And that no matter how far you try to run, it will find you.
Your house has come a long long way! But one day you will have an "80's wing" that will need to be remodeled a second time (granted that is 20 years down the road). As for now, when it is over you won't remember just how bad it was!

Adrianne said...

court- i will be forced to delete your comments if you don't get a different picture! seriously!

It's Been a Day! said...

You guys did a great job! what a great eye you have for that stuff. Very impressive! I'm excited to see the after pics of your current projects!

I'm all for a freshman reunion in NYC!!

EmilyCC said...

I'm so impressed! We'll never do a fixer-upper after our first house in Boston. Our renovations would go in 3 to 6 month spurts. So, most of the time, we were living in a house with a room or rooms that looked like they had been bombed.

Congratulations! Can't wait to see the basement!

TomKat said...

Your kitchen is gorgeous!

The Pond's Lily Pad said...

WOW-you guys have come so far. Your house is lovely; You are in the winning column now; it will all be over soon and then you'll be able to enjoy that new plasma TV for years to come!!! Love ya

maxfamclan said...

You guys have such vision! It takes real talent to see a homes potential and then have the drive to finish. I know you will finish with a bang!

Coleen said...

I love seeing before and after pics. I can barely pick out carpet, so I marvel at the way you can remodel with such wonderful results.

The Davis Fam said...

Can't wait to see the finished product. You guys are so good a remodeling - you'll get bored without a project!
I miss you and your orange carpet!

suzi said...

Your new kitchen is beautiful! I can hardly wait to see your new laundry room and family room! You'll love living in it, especially with your own touch on everything. Good luck, it'll be great!

Lacy said...

your house is gorgeous! Next month I want a tour please.

john said...

hey, here's some good news, this post seems way old now. almost done...relatively speaking.
Unfortunately, I have found, with remodels in this family, that the only difference between 'almost done' and 'just beginning' is object of the sentence.
if almost done in basement,
then just beginning somewhere else.

Latest Post on Just a Hint of Salt



Roasted Chicken with Balsamic Peppers